Backup and archiving of data
We implement solutions for creating backup copies and data archiving. We create a backup management policy for companies.
Backup increases IT security in the company
Backup copies protect the organization’s data
Taking care of backup is a set of activities and practices carried out to create a backup copy. Creating and storing backup copies is one of the most essential parts of professional management of IT infrastructure for a company or institution.
Backup protects the organization against the effects of negative events that may lead to the loss of the most important data by creating opportunity to quickly restore important information for the company. Backups save a lot of time, energy and resources in difficult situations.
Automation of making backup copies
Exanet uses modern solutions that enable the automation of creating backup copies. Dedicated software does not interfere with the functioning of the IT infrastructure, performing all the necessary operations in the background. Additionally, we eliminate the risk of human error.
We recommend the popular Veritas Backup Exec or Veeam platform as a basic backup tool for our clients. One of the main advantages of backup management software is automatic verification of the correctness of backups and notifications.
Efficient restoration of important data
- Ability to restore data in the shortest possible time in the event of hardware or software failure.
- The ability to restore operation of IT infrastructure after ransomware attacks.
- Ability to restore data after accidental deletion by a user.
- Ability to restore files after accidental overwriting by a user.
Exanet’s experience gained during many years of delivering IT support services for companies has allowed us to develop rules related to the frequency of backups. We set the backup policy individually for each IT infrastructure we deal with. Most often, we perform full backups once a week and incremental backups every day.
3 2 1 1 0 rule
The principle known as “3 2 1 1 0” concerns the main recommendations related to the backup policy in an organization. Data security is ensured by having three backups. Backups should be saved on at least two types of media (e.g. NAS storage configured in RAID and a copy taken on LTO-8 tape). One backup should be offsite (i.e. be in a different location or in the cloud). One backup should be disconnected from the network (offline). The backup copy must have zero errors. The backups located outside the client’s server room have to be encrypted.
The subject of the backup copy
- Virtual machines (virtual servers).
- File servers (network shares).
- Active Directory database.
- Exchange mail server.
We implement a backup system
- We review the company’s backup policy.
- We indicate backup problems and ways to solve them.
- We implement a backup and archiving system.
- We manage the backup system on an ongoing basis.
We prepare a backup policy for our client. We take into account the size of the infrastructure (amount of data), select technology and tools, set a schedule.
Data rarely used by the company is archived, which is primarily used to optimize the use of the main disk resources in the IT system. We transfer the data to safe and durable, but cheaper media on which it is cataloged.
Data archiving is carried out at specified intervals in accordance with the established parameters (archiving period, data retention time, rights to write / read the archive). Archived data can also be backed up.
Backup copies recovery tests
An indispensable element of backup management is the implementation of recovery tests. Exanet engineers test restoring virtual machines from backups and restoring individual files.
Advantages of cooperation with Exanet
- We use proven in practice software for managing backup copies in the company (Backup Exec, Veeam).
- We are a partner of the main suppliers of solutions used in the management of IT infrastructure in companies (Veritas, Dell, Lenovo, Microsoft, APC, Cisco, HPE, NetApp, ESET).
- We act in accordance with the best practices defined by hardware and software manufacturers.
- We always verify the backup copies. We use automation.
- We regularly test created backups.
- We individually prepare a backup policy for the company.
- We encrypt backups.
- We use deduplication, we exclude duplicate data from backup, which saves space, enables longer retention, and reduces the cost of carriers.